divisions of matrimonial assets

Knowing how much to ask for in a divorce is a science when you have experience. You may be giving up too much if you don’t understand this area of law.

As a lawyer handling such matters we can advise you on how to navigate this area with ease.

Speak to our Lawyer


In a Divorce, the Singapore Courts attempt to place parties in a position where they can continue their lives without having to rely on their ex-spouse.

During the course of the marriage parties would have accumulated assets, as such they are each entitled to a part of these assets.

A spouse who contributed 0% towards the total matrimonial assets is still entitled to a share of the matrimonial assets.

The Singapore Courts view contributions in two (2) ways:

Direct Contributions:

  • Who paid the downpayment for the house;
  • Who paid the monthly mortgage
  • Who bought matrimonial assets (investments, vehicles, fixture & fittings)
  • Who funded the family savings


Indirect Contributions:

  • Who looked after the family (cooking, cleaning, looking after the children);
  • Who managed the family affairs for financial and non-financial matters;
  • Who helped grow the family assets.

The Singapore Courts view the value of Indirect Contributions as valuable contribution towards the family. The rational is that the spouse was only able to earn such an income owing to the freedom he/she had due to the other spouse's indirect contributions.


*This is a non-exhaustive list.


Its best to speak to us so that we can analysis your case and provide you with a more accurate analysis.


Total Assets Valued at 1,000,000

Spouse A: Direct Contributions :80%

Indirect Contributions:10%

Spouse B: Direct Contributions: 20%

Indirect Contributions: 90%


Spouse A: 90/200 (45% of Total Assets)

Spouse B: 110/200 (55% of Total Assets)

Don't worry, speak to us. There are other factors that affect how matrimonial assets are divided. Factors such as the conduct of the other spouse, length of the marriage, source of funds that contributed towards the matrimonial assets affect the end result. 

You may be able to file an Appeal to the High Court Division of the Family Court. There is a limited time frame for filing Appeals, so you need to act quickly.

As proceedings in the High Court division is costly, we highly recommend having your matter reviewed first before proceeding further.

Don't worry, speak to us Our consultation is free.

Yes. If you have read this far why not speak to us?

Why Us?

Fuss Free

Your Matter is in Capable Hands

Problem Solvers

Creative Customised Solutions


Our face to face consultations is FREE.

Our Articles

A will is a legal instrument in which a person, the testator, specifies the method to be applied in the management and distribution of his estate as well as in carrying out his or her wishes after death. In Singapore, wills are governed by the Wills Act. [...]
Under the laws of Singapore, a person who owns a thing (“property”) is said to have an interest in it. This “interest” in property can further be divided into a legal interest and an equitable interest. [...]
The answer to this question is, generally, yes you can. 3 statutes govern this issue, namely: • Reciprocal Enforcement of Commonwealth Judgments Act (Cap 264) (RECJA). • Reciprocal Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act (Cap 265) (REFJA). • Choice of Court Agreements Act (Cap 39A) (CCAA) In cases which are not covered by the 3 statutes mentioned above, recourse may still be had to the common law. [...]
One of the necessary steps to be taken before trial is the process of “Discovery”, wherein each party is required to prepare, list down, file and exchange the “evidences” that each party is intending to rely on in the trial. [...]
In Singapore, even if you divorce your spouse, you still need to support your child (whether adopted or not). You can’t avoid this responsibility by disowning your child, either. The Singapore Courts are of the view that the child’s needs are paramount, and parents (whether biological or not) have to help their children. [...]
Party-and-Party costs cover not just legal fees charged by the lawyer for services rendered, but also expenses like disbursements such as filing fees, court fees, transport charges, photocopying charges, etc. [...]
The Singapore legal system has in recent years come up with toolkits, information, booklets, and webpages dedicated to supporting self-representation in Court. While it is granted that self-representation is the cheaper option, it may not be such a great idea if you do not achieve your desired results and lose the case in Court. [...]
In Singapore, married couples are not allowed to commence divorce proceedings within the first three years of their marriage. However, there may be exceptional circumstances that allow for the marriage to be dissolved within the three year period. These include being granted a divorce if one party has suffered exceptional depravity or hardship, or getting a marriage annulled. [...]
There are several documents that you should bring with you to your first meeting with your divorce lawyer. You should bring the documents that the court requires in the two stages of divorce proceedings (the main proceedings, which will lead to a grant of an interim divorce order, and the ancillary proceedings, which deal with matters such as division of matrimonial assets, maintenance and child custody, and leads to a final judgement). Any personal information you provide your lawyer will be kept in the lawyer’s confidence and will only be used in relation to the divorce proceedings. [...]
Whether you’re signing off on a simple tenancy agreement or a multi-million dollar joint venture agreement, contracts are part and parcel of life and business. Many disputes and problems can be avoided if you read your contracts properly, with a keen eye for detail and some knowledge of legal terminology. Of course, the best thing to do would be to approach a lawyer to review a contract you are about to enter into. Lawyers are familiar with contract law and have developed a keen understanding of various types of clauses and how to draft them, even challenge them. Lawyers may also negotiate for amendments to terms and conditions in the contract which are not favourable to you. [...]
There are two main ways in which you and your spouse will be affected financially as a direct result of a divorce: first, in relation to how your matrimonial assets will be divided; and second, in relation to any maintenance payments the court may order you or your spouse to make. There are several issues to consider that may make a significant impact on the two identified ways you may be affected financially by the divorce. This article briefly elaborates upon the financial issues that you should contemplate before filing for divorce. [...]
To get a divorce in Singapore, you will have to prove that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. Should your spouse have committed adultery, such that you find it intolerable to live with your spouse, and you are able to adduce evidence of said adultery to the court, the court may be persuaded that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of your marriage, and thus grant a divorce. [...]
To get a divorce in Singapore, you will have to prove that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of your marriage. Should you be able to adduce evidence that your spouse has deserted you, the court may be persuaded that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of your marriage, and thus grant a divorce. [...]
To get a divorce in Singapore, you will have to prove that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. Should you be able to adduce evidence that your spouse has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with your spouse, the court may be persuaded that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of your marriage, and thus grant a divorce. [...]
Divorce proceedings will differ based on whether or not the divorce is contested. A divorce is uncontested if both parties to the divorce have come to an amicable agreement privately. On the other hand, a divorce is contested when the court has to resolve key issues to the divorce. Given that the resolution of issues has to be dealt with at trial and that the parties involved will have to be cross-examined by the court, contested divorce proceedings can be lengthy. Hence, it will take longer for an interim judgement of divorce to be granted for a contested divorce as compared to an uncontested divorce. In the same vein, due to the differences in complexity and time required, contested divorces will usually be significantly more costly relative to uncontested divorces. [...]